Why are we here?
As established in our Bylaws, the basic mission of the Pot Spring Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association – in common with the National PTA and the Maryland PTA – is:
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship;
- To raise the standards of home life;
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth; and
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth, and
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
This mission is furthered by advocacy and educational programs directed toward parents, teachers, and the general public and is directly promoted by means of conferences, committees, projects, and programs.
Fundamental objectives of our PTA are:
- To increase the level of constructive involvement of parents in the education of our children;
- To increase effective communication between parents, on the one hand, and our teachers and the school administration, on the other hand; and
- To provide support – both material and otherwise – to our teachers and the school administration with a view to enhancing their ability to provide our children with a superior education.
Ultimately, it’s about “Working Together” for the benefit of our children!
What We Do
Our PTA supports the work of our teachers, students, and administrators in a variety of ways. Some of these – such as supplementing our school’s ability to provide the latest technologies in the classroom and helping our teachers with their purchases of classroom supplies – are very tangible and depend directly on fundraising events during the course of the year. Others are less tangible but just as important. These include everything from sponsoring social events and “friendraisers” to letting our teachers know how much we support them by underwriting the annual “back-to-school breakfast” and Teacher Appreciation Week luncheon to helping out with snacks for students during MSAs and providing our students with agendas/planners for use throughout the school year.
None of this would be possible without the broad support our parents provide, both financially and by volunteering to help organize and run our many events, which include:
Race for Education
This event, held in late October or early November, has become our major fundraiser. Parents, grandparents, and friends support our students as they run and walk a “racecourse” at our school. It’s fun for everyone and last year raised $23,000, which was used to purchase technology equipment for our classrooms and to support other PTA programs.
Fall Book Fair and School Dance
The annual fall Scholastic Book Fair has enabled our students to buy quality reading materials and other educational items at reasonable prices and has been a consistent fundraiser for PTA programs, as well as providing books for our school library. The week-long Book Fair culminated with the annual fall dance, with music, dancing, pizza, and fun for students and parents alike.
Restaurant/Local Business Nights
Periodically, there are family nights at local restaurants, where a portion of money brought in from Pot Spring families is donated to the school or PTA. This has been done most recently at Squisito’s Pizza, corresponding with the Ultimate Play Zone family night. Earlier in the year, the PTA
Although this Saturday springtime event also raises money to help support PTA programs, it’s really a chance for families to come together at our school and enjoy a day of games, prizes, and good food (including lots of homebaked goodies), get two-for-the-price-of-one books from Scholastic, and bid on great stuff at the silent auction.
And That’s Not All . . .
Those are just the “big” events. Our PTA does a lot of other things too, including:
- Providing those “take-home folders” to every student at Back-to-School Night
- Serving breakfast and providing thank-you gifts to our teachers every year during their first week back after summer break
- Publishing the school directory
- Reimbursing our teachers for classroom supplies and other materials, up to $150 per full-time teacher
- Running the school store, where our students can buy lots of useful items
- Purchasing agendas/planners for every upper-level student, to help them stay organized
- Subsidizing cultural and scientific activities for our students, such as the annual STEM Fair, Picture Parent, Reading/Math/Education Night, Earth Day Every Day, and Ballroom Dancing, to name a few
- Providing hospitality at such events as kindergarten registration, STEM Fair, and Career Day
- Organizing the collection of “boxtops,” a program that last year generated over $1,000 for PTA programs
- Sponsoring the annual fifth grade graduation and graduation party
- Organizing the publication and sale of the school yearbook
BUT WE CAN’T DO ANY OF IT WITHOUT YOU!
Want to help? Find out how!
Pot Spring Elementary PTA is a Maryland nonprofit organization and an affiliate of the Maryland PTA and is tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to the PTA are deductible for federal income tax purposes, subject to the limitations prescribed in Section 170 of the Code.
Pot Spring Elementary PTA is registered with the Charitable Organization Division of the Maryland Secretary of State under the Maryland Solicitations Act and, in addition to filing an annual Form 990 with the IRS, files annual reports with the Division. More information can be obtained from the Division’s website.